Blotchy skin is the term used to describe skin which has patches of skin which are differently coloured or have different colour shades. Melanin is the pigment which gives colour to our skin. In this condition, the levels of melanin are different in different skin patches giving rise to blotchy skin appearance.
Blotchy skin can be caused by various reasons ranging from harsh environmental or weather conditions, emotional disturbances, and allergy to various things to certain diseases like Eczema, etc.
But, there are certainly some things which you can do to get rid of blotchy skin or at least minimize the blotchy skin appearance to some extent by following certain remedies. We shall discuss what causes blotchy skin and how can you get rid of blotchy skin in this article.
- 0.1 What causes Blotchy skin?
- 0.1.1 Using Harsh or chemical-laden soaps:
- 0.1.2 Excess alcohol consumption:
- 0.1.3 Excessive exercise:
- 0.1.4 Not using sunscreen:
- 0.1.5 Extreme weather conditions:
- 0.1.6 Not maintaining skin properly:
- 0.1.7 Allergies:
- 0.1.8 Using moisturizers containing chemicals or fragrances:
- 0.1.9 Excessive exfoliation of the skin:
- 0.1.10 Skin procedures:
- 0.1.11 Emotional disturbances:
- 0.2 How to get rid of blotchy skin?
- 1 Related Posts:
What causes Blotchy skin?
As we already mentioned, there are several different causes of the blotchy appearance of the skin. Let us try to learn about them below:
Using Harsh or chemical-laden soaps:
Our skin contains moisture and healthy fatty acids to keep the skin moist and protected. When you start using harsh or chemical-laden soaps, they remove the moisture and fatty acids from the skin and make the skin dry and blotchy. Also, there are side effects of chemicals on the face. To avoid this problem, you need to use mild soaps which help to retain moisture in the skin.
Excess alcohol consumption:
When you drink an excess of any sort of alcohol, including wine, they dilate or enlarge the blood vessels supplying the skin. This increases the blood supply or blood flow to the skin which makes the skin appear red, flushed and blotchy.
Exercise is beneficial for your body, it helps to strengthen your muscles, enhances mood and increases immunity. But, when you exercise excessively, the blood vessels supplying the skin are dilated and there is increased blood supply to the skin. This causes splotches on the skin or blotchy appearance of the skin.
Not using sunscreen:
When you are exposed to sunlight for a prolonged time, the melanocytes in the skin are stimulated and they start producing melanin pigment. This produces black spots, splotches and blotchy skin. So, when you are going out in the sun, using a proper sunscreen lotion is essential.
Extreme weather conditions:
Exposure to extreme weather or environmental conditions including extreme heat, cold or humidity can take a toll on our skin. We need to protect our skin in all sorts of weather conditions. Use sunscreen in hot weather, use moisturiser in cold weather. Use an umbrella to protect from sun and rain.
Not maintaining skin properly:
We are in a competitive world with so many work pressures and family commitments. Due to this, we avoid taking care of our skin many times. We don’t maintain our skin. This can cause damage to our skin and make it blotchy. We need to have a proper day time and night time skincare routine which follow every day. Keep it simple with natural skincare products and avoid chemical containing products at all costs.
Some people have allergies to various food products, cosmetics, weather conditions, etc. These allergies can lead to the formation of rashes on the skin, or form blotchy skin patches. So, to avoid these problems, be extremely cautious about the skin products you use, the foods you consume. Avoid all sorts of foods and cosmetics that you are allergic to.
Using moisturizers containing chemicals or fragrances:
Using a moisturizer is useful to keep the skin moist and supple. But, when choosing moisturizer we need to be very careful and choose only the ones which don’t contain any added chemicals or fragrances. As these chemicals or fragrances can irritate the skin and develop rashes and blotchy skin.
Excessive exfoliation of the skin:
Exfoliation is essential to get rid of dead cells on your face and give you a glowing look. But, everything good needs to be done in moderation. If you are doing exfoliation in excess or too often, it irritates the skin, causes inflammation and makes it look blotchy.
Certain skin procedures like chemical peels, microdermabrasion might be recommended by dermatologist to get rid of blotchy skin appearance. But some of these procedures are not suitable for certain skin types, and they can further worsen your problem. So, make sure to know all the pros and cons of the procedures from your dermatologist before undergoing any skin procedure.
Emotional disturbances or stress can cause harm to your body for sure. It causes hormonal imbalance in the body. This can cause an eruption of skin rashes, acne, etc, which can drastically alter the appearance of the skin.
How to get rid of blotchy skin?
If you want to get rid of blotchy skin or if you want to avoid it in the first place, we need to take care of our skin regularly and maintain it as follows:
- Avoid stress by the following stress relaxing techniques like yoga, meditation, gardening, playing with kids, etc.
- Avoid excess consumption of alcohol. Keep it within limits.
- Use sunscreen lotion when going out in the sun. Wear full-sleeved dresses when going out in the sun. Wear goggles and use a hat or umbrella to protect from the sun.
- Use moisturizing lotion during cold weather or wintertime.
- Avoid all kinds of cosmetic products containing chemicals. Use natural products instead.
- Avoid using harsh soaps. Use natural handmade soaps. You can even learn how to make natural handmade soaps and do it yourself and use them.
- Eat a healthy balanced diet containing many fruits and vegetables.
- Drink adequate water to flush out all the toxins from the body. Drink at least 2 to 3 litres of water throughout the day. Keep yourself hydrated.
- Avoid exfoliating your skin too often. Even when exfoliating your skin, do it very gently to avoid skin irritation.
- If you are allergic to any food or skin product, avoid it.
- When you go for any skin procedure, find out all about it from your dermatologist before undergoing it.