Tingling in head is a type of paresthesia. Paresthesia is a sensation of burning, tingling, numbness, prickling, etc in certain parts of the body. It occurs mostly in hands or legs. But sometimes, it can also occur in certain body parts like head, scalp, etc.
Paresthesias occur when the nerves supplying that particular body part are affected due to various reasons like hormonal changes, increased blood sugar levels, vitamin deficiency, etc. In this article, let us discuss the possible causes of paresthesias like tingling in head and their remedies or treatments.
- 0.1 Tingling in head Causes:
- 0.1.1 Mental disturbances:
- 0.1.2 Sinusitis:
- 0.1.3 Diabetes:
- 0.1.4 Migraine headache:
- 0.1.5 Vitamin B12 deficiency:
- 0.1.6 Hypothyroidism:
- 0.1.7 Trigeminal neuralgia:
- 0.1.8 Occipital neuralgia:
- 0.1.9 Stroke:
- 0.1.10 Infections:
- 0.1.11 Simple partial Seizures:
- 0.1.12 Autoimmune disorders:
- 0.1.13 Trauma to head:
- 0.1.14 Multiple sclerosis:
- 0.1.15 Medications:
- 0.2 Tingling in head Treatment and Remedies:
- 1 Related Posts:
Tingling in head Causes:
There are several causes of Tingling in head ranging from minor problems like vitamin deficiency to more severe problems like a stroke which require prompt medical intervention. So, we must be aware of the symptoms of each condition when we have Tingling in head to seek medical help when essential.
When you are mentally upset, stressed or anxious, there is a release of certain stress hormones in your body like adrenaline and noradrenaline. They dilate the blood vessel and increase the flow of blood to certain body parts.
Due to this, you might experience various paresthesias on different body parts including Tingling in head. Once the stressor is avoided and you become calm mentally, the Tingling sensation in your head might also subside.
Sinuses are airspaces or air-filled cavities that are present on sides of your nose. They can become inflamed or swollen due to various reasons like viral infections, bacterial infections, allergies, etc. This is called sinusitis. When the sinuses are inflamed, this can causes irritation to the nerves which are present in the surroundings. This can also cause Tingling in head sensation.
Diabetes is a condition in which there are increased blood sugar levels in your body. It can happen when your pancreas is not producing enough insulin, which is called Type 1 Diabetes. It can also happen when the pancreas is producing enough insulin, but the cells and tissues are resistant to the insulin or you have insulin resistance, which is called Type 2 Diabetes.
When you have Diabetes, various nerves in your body are irritated due to high blood sugar levels. This can cause paresthesias like tingling on various parts like arms, legs commonly. But, you might also experience Tingling in head along with arm and leg.
It is a type of headache which commonly affects one side of your head, either right or left. Some people with Migraine have abnormal sensations like tingling, visual disturbances, Tingling in head, etc before the headache begins, which is called migraine with aura.
Vitamin B12 deficiency:
Vitamin B12 plays a very important role in maintaining the proper function of the nerves. When you are deficient in vitamin B12, you might experience tingling in head, other body parts, difficulty in maintaining a balance of your body, abnormality in sensing in your joint position, etc. It can sometimes co-exist in people having Diabetes, exaggerating their tingling or burning sensation in the head.
It is a condition in which the Thyroid gland is not functioning normally or not producing sufficient thyroid hormone. When a person has Hypothyroidism, he can gain weight easily, has an intolerance of cold weather, can have swelling or oedema of legs, have tingling in head and other body parts.
There are 2 Trigeminal nerves. Each Trigeminal nerve supplies one part of the head like face, cheeks, etc. When the Trigeminal nerves are affected or irritated due to any reason, you might experience sharp electric shock-like sensation or tingling on one side of your face. It can be triggered by just touching your chin, shaving, etc.
Two Occipital nerves pass on either side of your neck and they supply back and upper part of your head. If they are inflamed or irritated due to any cause, you can experience Tingling in head on the back of your head.
Stroke is a condition in which there is decreased blood supply to your head either due to blockage of arteries called Ischemic stroke or due to haemorrhage or bleeding from the arteries, called a hemorrhagic stroke.
In this disorder, due to reduced blood supply to the brain, there is diminished oxygen supply. This can lead to various symptoms like weakness or numbness on one side of your body, drooping of the mouth to one side, loss of balance, etc. Tingling in head can also be one of the symptoms of a stroke.
Various infections like HIV or Hepatitis C, Shingles, etc can irritate the nerves. This can lead to burning or Tingling in head.
Simple partial Seizures:
It is a type of seizures in which the affected person doesn’t lose consciousness. He is awake but can experience various abnormal sensations. He can experience abnormal smell and taste, tingling on various body parts, feeling of having the same sensation or experience before or dejavu, etc.
An autoimmune disorder is a condition in which our immune system acts against our own body and attacks various body parts. Certain autoimmune disorders like Systemic lupus erythematosus, Rheumatoid arthritis, etc can affect the nerves and can cause Tingling in head and other body parts.
Trauma to head:
When you have any trauma to head or head injury, the nerves in the head can get injured. This can make you experience abnormal sensation or burning sensation or tingling in head.
It is a condition in which our immune system attacks the nerves of our body. It is seen in many people throughout the world but of varying severities. In this condition, an affected person can experience tingling in head, visual abnormalities like blindness, double vision, etc.
Certain medications which are used to treat conditions like various cancers, epilepsy, etc can cause paresthesias in your body like tingling in head.
Tingling in head Treatment and Remedies:
There are various things that you can do to control your tingling in head. But mostly, the treatment depends on the cause of your problem. Let us see some treatment options and remedies below:
- As stress can cause these paresthesias, try to follow relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation, listening to music, etc to keep stress under control. Many autoimmune disorders are also triggered or even caused by stress. So, keeping stress under control help sin controlling tingling caused by autoimmune disorders as well.
- Try to eat foods rich in vitamin B12 like eggs, meat, cheese, etc.
- To keep tingling in head caused by Diabetes under control, you need to maintain blood sugar levels within limits. You need to eat a healthy balanced diet containing more vegetables and fruits, and less of refined carbohydrates. Exercise regularly and maintain blood sugar level under control by consulting your physician regularly.
- If your tingling in head is caused by any medications, you can talk to your doctor about any possible change of dosage or change of medication.
- If your tingling is caused by infections, taking necessary medication to control the infection can help.
- If you are deficient in vitamin B12, taking oral supplements or vitamin B12 can help in reducing the symptoms. Taking injections of Vitamin B12 by consulting a physician gives faster results in controlling tingling in head.
- If you have Hypothyroidism, you will need to take thyroid hormone medication to control your symptoms.