Cital syrup is a must have syrup in everyone’s home. It is very useful indeed. We realize its importance only when we suffer from severe burning micturition and Cital syrup relieves out symptoms in a jiffy.
But, many people don’t know about Cital syrup. Only the people who have used it previously upon their doctors prescription are aware of it. Let us talk about what is Cital syrup, its uses, side-effects, dosage and all facts about it.
- 0.1 What is Cital syrup?
- 0.2 Uses of Cital syrup:
- 0.2.0.1 1. Acts as Urine alkalizer:
- 0.2.0.2 2. Cital syrup for Urinary tract infection:
- 0.2.0.3 3. Prevents Nephrolithiasis or kidney stones:
- 0.2.0.4 4. Cital syrup for treatment of kidney stones:
- 0.2.0.5 5. It is used to treat Systemic acidosis:
- 0.2.0.6 6. As an adjuvant with Sulphonamide drug therapy:
- 0.2.0.7 7. Acts as an antioxidant:
- 0.2.1 Is Cital syrup really effective?
- 0.2.2 Cital syrup dosage:
- 0.2.3 How to take Cital syrup:
- 0.2.4 Cital syrup side effects:
- 0.2.5 Can we give Cital syrup to infants under 1 year of age?
- 0.2.6 Is Cital syrup available as Over the counter drug or OTC drug?
- 0.2.7 Some precautions while using Cital syrup:
- 0.2.8 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- 0.2.8.1 1. Can we use Cital syrup in pregnancy?
- 0.2.8.2 2. Can we use Cital syrup during breastfeeding?
- 0.2.8.3 3. Can we Cital syrup for all age groups?
- 0.2.8.4 4. When should I avoid taking Cital syrup?
- 0.2.8.5 5. Can I take this syrup if I have renal failure?
- 0.2.8.6 6. Can I take this drug if I have heart failure?
- 0.2.8.7 7. I have taken more than recommended doses, what should I do?
- 0.2.8.8 8. What should I do if I miss a dose?
- 0.2.8.9 9. What should I do if the drug bottle is expired?
- 0.2.8.10 10. Can I take Cital syrup if I have high or low potassium levels?
- 0.2.8.11 11. I am having diarrhea after taking this syrup. What should I do?
- 0.2.8.12 12. Can I take Cital syrup on an empty stomach?
- 0.2.8.13 13. Are there any drug interactions of Cital syrup?
- 1 Related Posts:
What is Cital syrup?
It is the trade name or the name which is given by a drugs manufacturing company called Indoco remedies. This syrup contains a drug called Disodium Hydrogen citrate. It is available in 100 ml and 200 ml bottles. Each 5 ml of the syrup contains about 1.37 grams of Disodium Hydrogen citrate.
Uses of Cital syrup:
1. Acts as Urine alkalizer:
This Syrup helps to reduce the acidity of the urine and make it more alkaline. Acidic urine is conducive for the growth of many urinary infections causing bacteria. By alkalizing urine, it reduces the growth of this urine infection causing bacteria.
2. Cital syrup for Urinary tract infection:
As it reduces the growth of urinary infection causing bacteria, it controls the symptoms of urinary tract infections. Burning micturition or burning urination and urgency of urination are symptoms of urinary tract infection or UTI. So, it effectively controls UTI symptoms also.
Sometimes I develop burning urination suddenly and I don’t understand what to do. I feel very irritated as I have to rush to the bathroom many times. Then I drink few spoons of Cital syrup mixed in a glass of water. Then suddenly I notice that my symptoms subside. So, I can assure that Cital syrup is really very effective.
3. Prevents Nephrolithiasis or kidney stones:
There are many reasons for a person to develop kidney stones. A person suffering from frequent urinary tract infections develops kidney stones more commonly in comparison to others. So, if you take Cital syrup when you have urinary tract infection, it reduces your chances of developing kidney stones.
4. Cital syrup for treatment of kidney stones:
Yes, Urologists suggest using Cital syrup for people suffering from Kidney stones. It has some beneficial effect in treating kidney stones.
5. It is used to treat Systemic acidosis:
Cital syrup acts like systemic alkalizer too. If you have developed systemic acidosis due to conditions like diarrhea, renal tubular acidosis or uremic acidosis, cital syrup can help you alkalize your blood and reduce the acidosis promptly.
6. As an adjuvant with Sulphonamide drug therapy:
Sulphonamides are a group of drugs used as antibiotics. They are used to kill certain strains of harmful bacteria. Sulphonamides have the propensity to cause metabolic acidosis or the tendency to make your blood acidic. Cital syrup counteracts that effect of Sulphonamides and makes your blood alkaline.
7. Acts as an antioxidant:
Free radicals are produced in our body due to many different processes of metabolism going on in the body. They damage our cells and lead to many problems like aging, cancers, etc. Anti-oxidants protect the body from the damage caused by free radicals. Cital syrup acts as an anti-oxidant.
Is Cital syrup really effective?
Many people have this question in mind when others like me suggest them to use this syrup. But, be assured that Cital syrup is really very effective in treating your problems. It’s most commonly used to treat urinary tract infections. Your symptoms of burning micturition subside within few minutes of taking this syrup.
Cital syrup dosage:
All Kids up to 6 years of age: 2 ml each time
Kids above 6 years up to 15 years of age: 5 ml each time
All the people above 15 years of age: 15 ml each time
How to take Cital syrup:
Dissolve the prescribed dose of this syrup as per your age in a glass of water and drink it after your meals. You can take this syrup about 3 to 4 times a day.
Cital syrup side effects:
Although Cital syrup has many benefits, it has some side effects as well. These side-effects are not very common. But still, you need to be aware of these cital syrup side effects. Be cautious while cital syrup and stop taking it immediately and consult your Physician if you notice any such side effects of cital syrup.
List of side effects of Cital syrup:
1. Extreme fatigue or tiredness
2. Peptic ulcers or ulcers in the stomach
3. Hypokalemia or low levels of potassium in the blood
4. Abdominal cramps
5. Abdominal bloating and flatulence
6. Passage of large amounts of urine
7. Loose motions or diarrhea
8. Mental upset or tensed feeling
Can we give Cital syrup to infants under 1 year of age?
Yes, it can be given to infants under 1 year of age upon the prescription of your doctor. But don’t give it to the infants yourself without your Pediatricians advice. Mix the syrup with some juice or even water, but give the syrup very slowly sip by sip.
Is Cital syrup available as Over the counter drug or OTC drug?
No, it is not available for you to buy over the counter as it has many side effects if used wrongly. It is available on the prescription of your Physician.
Some precautions while using Cital syrup:
- Always take it after your doctor’s prescription.
- Don’t give it prescribed to you for anyone else without doctor’s prescription.
- Drink a lot of water while taking it. It helps to flush out any infections easily.
- Always take this medicine after you have your meals.
- Don’t take this medicine if you have low potassium level as it can reduce your potassium levels in the blood.
- Before the doctor suggests you this medicine, tell the doctor about all there other diseases that you have related to kidneys and heart, as it can become overdose in certain conditions.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
1. Can we use Cital syrup in pregnancy?
Yes, you can use it in pregnancy. It is safe in pregnancy. But you need to take your doctor’s advice regarding it.
2. Can we use Cital syrup during breastfeeding?
Yes, it can be used during breastfeeding too. But, make sure you get a correct advice from your doctor.
3. Can we Cital syrup for all age groups?
Yes, it can be used in people of all age groups upon the prescription of your doctor.
4. When should I avoid taking Cital syrup?
You shouldn’t take it if you have any conditions like Hypertension, Edema or fluid accumulation in body parts, and some problems with your kidneys and heart.
5. Can I take this syrup if I have renal failure?
No, you shouldn’t take this drug if you have renal failure as it can become overdosed.
6. Can I take this drug if I have heart failure?
No, it is not supposed to be taken if you have heart failure. Get your doctor’s advice on the same.
7. I have taken more than recommended doses, what should I do?
Side effects from the overdose are generally rare. But, stop taking the drug immediately and observe if you develop any symptoms that I mentioned above. In such case, consult your doctor immediately for further advice.
8. What should I do if I miss a dose?
There is no problem if you miss a dose. You can continue with the next doses of the drug.
9. What should I do if the drug bottle is expired?
Throw the bottle immediately. Never take any drugs which are expired. They cause many adverse effects.
10. Can I take Cital syrup if I have high or low potassium levels?
It alters the potassium levels in the body. So, you shouldn’t take this drug if your potassium levels are on the high or low side of the normal range.
11. I am having diarrhea after taking this syrup. What should I do?
Skip a dose or two and drink a lot of water. Then if your symptoms subside, you can continue taking the drug.
12. Can I take Cital syrup on an empty stomach?
No, it shouldn’t be taken on an empty stomach as it can cause stomach ulcers. Always take it after having your meals.
13. Are there any drug interactions of Cital syrup?
There are certain drugs which interact with this syrup like Corticosteroids, amphetamines, barbiturates, diuretics, etc. So, let your doctor know if you are already taking any other drug. So that your doctor can assess if it’s safe for you to take this syrup.