One of the most frequent questions asked by patients with egg allergy is, “Why do eggs make my stomach hurt?” As if stomach pain after eating eggs is not enough, other symptoms such as skin rashes, asthma and, nasal congestion appear as a result of taking eggs.
- 0.1 Egg allergy:
- 0.2 Causes of stomach pain after eating eggs:
- 0.3 Symptoms that accompany stomach pain after eating eggs:
- 0.4 Triggers of egg allergy:
- 0.5 Diagnosis of stomach pain after eating eggs:
- 0.6 Remedies of stomach pain after eating eggs:
- 0.7 Preventive measures for stomach pain after eating eggs:
- 0.8 When should you visit a doctor?
- 1 Related Posts:
- 2 Share this:
An egg allergy is a condition where when you take eggs be it a fried egg or an egg pancake, your body registers the protein from the egg as foreign. The body defends itself by producing histamine which fights the egg protein. Production of histamine causes the allergic reactions.
Children below the age of 16 are the most vulnerable to protein allergies. However, when they reach the age of 16 there are high chances that they are no longer allergic to proteins, others the allergy persists.
Egg allergy is second in allergic foods. When you are diagnosed with an egg allergy, it is prudent for you to avoid all egg products, this is because even though you are allergic to the white egg, it will be hard to separate it from the yolk.
The severity of egg allergy is different for everyone. There are those whose egg allergy comes with severe pains and severe skin rashes, and there are those who experience mild pains and rashes.
You should consult your doctor when you become aware that you are allergic to eggs. Your doctor will advise you on preventive measures and remedies for egg allergy.
Some of the allergic reactions caused by eggs are fatal.
Anaphylaxis reaction is a less common reaction from insects and foods. Eggs are a type of food that might bring about anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis allergic reaction occurs within seconds of consuming food that you are allergic to or after an insect sting.
To treat anaphylaxis reaction, you need an adrenaline shot. Symptoms include difficulties in breathing, dizziness and sudden drop in blood pressure.
Causes of stomach pain after eating eggs:
An egg allergy occurs when the body tries to fight egg proteins by producing histamine which triggers the allergic reaction.
In children, an allergic reaction may as a result of breast milk from a mother who has consumed eggs. Therefore if you are a breastfeeding mother, you should avoid eggs for the sake of your baby.
Symptoms that accompany stomach pain after eating eggs:
Symptoms of egg allergy depend on the severity of your egg allergy.
- Skin Rashes
- Stomach pain after eating eggs
- Difficulties in breathing
- Running nose
- Watery or red eyes
Triggers of egg allergy:
Children below the age of 16 are more likely to develop an egg allergy. As they get older, their digestive system matures, and their chances of suffering from egg allergy go down unlike when they are young.
You are at a higher risk if one or both of your of your parents have asthma or any other allergy and an egg allergy is not an exemption.
Atopic dermatitis is a severe allergic hypersensitivity skin condition. Its symptoms include rashes on hands, on your back, itchiness, and hives.
Influenza vaccines contain some amount of egg proteins. However, there is an influenza vaccine that does not include the egg protein is safe for people with egg allergy. The levels of egg proteins in the vaccine are shallow and can, therefore, be used even on people with egg allergic reactions.
Yellow fever vaccine:
Yellow fever is a vaccine administered to people visiting a foreign where they might be at risk of contracting yellow fever. If it is a must for a person allergic to eggs to take the vaccine, they make it under medical supervision.
Diagnosis of stomach pain after eating eggs:
Eggs allergy is not restricted to chicken eggs only but also to eggs from ducks, goose or even quail eggs.
Once you visit your doctor, they will start by carrying out a physical exam where they will observe the visible symptoms.
- Stomach pains
- Difficulties in breathing
- Vomiting and nausea
Your doctor may then carry out a blood test. The blood test is sent to the laboratory where it tests for the presence of immunoglobulin. Immunoglobulin is an antibody found in egg protein.
A skin test involves placing a small amount of fluid containing egg protein at the back of your forearm. Once this egg is absorbed in the skin, a reddish hive will appear within 15 minutes indicating an allergy.
In an event where the above tests are not conclusive, you might be required to do a food challenge. You will take eggs to try to prove the allergic reactions and if they occur your cause for allergic reactions is known.
An egg elimination diet is also an option. Here you eliminate a food product after other. When eggs are, and no reactions occur but when included the responses arise egg allergy is possible.
Remedies of stomach pain after eating eggs:
Before consulting your doctor, you can start by trying out the following treatments to alleviate stomach pains.
- Rest for a few minutes and take deep breaths.
- Focus on something else other than the stomach pain after eating eggs.
- Place a hot water bag on your abdomen to ease the stomach pain after eating eggs.
- In the case of worsening stomach pain after eating eggs take fluids such as rice water, apple juice but avoid any fluid that may contain egg contents.
- To treat stomach pain after eating eggs take a lot of vegetables and fruits such as tomatoes, oranges and, grapes. Fruits and vegetables are known for their anti-inflammatory properties. When making eggs, you should include vegetables and fruits, and this could help with allergy relief.
- Take food rich in magnesium. Magnesium is an anti-histamine, and it also has a calming effect on the body muscles. The magnesium properties help bring relief to allergic reactions.
Foods rich in magnesium include cashew nuts, wheat, and bran.
- Fruits rich in vitamin C also help with allergic reactions where eggs upset stomach. Vitamin C is an anti-inflammatory. It helps inhibit release of histamine.
When histamine is inhibited allergic reaction to eggs such as stomach pain after eating eggs are put in check. Watermelon, apples and, oranges are some of the fruits that contain Vitamin C.
- To treat stomach pain after eating eggs, you can take fruits and vegetables that contain Bioflavonoids. Quercetin is a bioflavonoid that fights the allergic reactions by reducing the number of cells that release histamine. Sources of bioflavonoids include wine, onions, tea among others.
The above remedies help relieve allergic reactions caused by eating eggs. These remedies may work for while sometime they might not work. In that case, you should visit your doctor who will carry out proper diagnosis and advice you on what medication to take.
Before visiting your doctor, you can take an antihistamine to help ease mild symptoms such as itching and mild hives.
Preventive measures for stomach pain after eating eggs:
Prevention is better than cure. There are some things that you might do to avoid stomach pain after eating eggs.
- Avoid eating egg products as much as possible.
- If you have to eat eggs, eat them in small proportions.
- Another way to prevent yourself from the allergic reaction you can take an antihistamine before taking eggs. This allergy hack is known to work to some people while to others it does not work.
- To avoid stomach aches as a result of eating eggs, you can find alternatives for eggs. Eggs add a pleasant taste to meals, and that is why eggs have become popular and are in every breakfast table.
However, you can still enjoy the pleasant taste by substituting eggs with chia seeds, baking soda, Yoghurt, Buttermilk, arrowroot powder, mashed banana or even applesauce. These alternatives will add flavour and most importantly save you from the allergic reactions that come with eggs.
- Some products have eggs hidden in the ingredients. You should, therefore, go through the ingredient list of a product before buying it.
Examples of foods that contain eggs include mayonnaise, some pizza toppings, chocolate, soufflé’ among others.
When should you visit a doctor?
Some of the allergic reactions are treatable from home by taking the home remedies or by just taking an antihistamine. However when the treatments don’t help, and the symptoms persist kindly visit your doctor.
If one of the allergic reactions is anaphylaxis, you should make a trip to your doctor even after administering the adrenaline shot.
Another reason for visiting your doctor is if the symptoms are severe. For example severe shortage of breath, excruciating abdominal pains or when one of the signs is anaphylaxis.
Preventing yourself from egg allergy reactions by avoiding egg products is the only sure way because you can never be sure what levels of egg protein will trigger the allergic reactions. Since there are alternatives for eggs why not take them and leave your skin clear from spots caused by hives.