Alum powder is beneficial in many ways for hair, skin, and health. We can use it in many home remedies for the treatment of canker sores, cracks in the heels, to get rid of the bad odor, to cure acne and pimples, to reduce the wrinkles on the face and also to get rid of head lice. Alum powder is also used in the purification of water. Some men also use alum as part of their shaving kit.
- 0.1 What is Alum?
- 0.2 Health benefits of Alum powder and blocks:
- 0.2.1 1. Alum block for shaving:
- 0.2.2 2. Alum for canker sores:
- 0.2.3 Method 1:
- 0.2.4 Method 2:
- 0.2.5 3. Alum for Acne/pimples:
- 0.2.6 4. Alum for hair removal:
- 0.2.7 5. Alum powder for wrinkles:
- 0.2.8 6. Alum block or powder as a deodorant:
- 0.2.9 7. Alum for water purification:
- 0.2.10 8. Alum powder for athletes foot:
- 0.2.11 9. Alum for cracked heels:
- 0.2.12 10. Alum powder for head lice:
- 0.2.13 11. Alum for stye or eye abscess:
- 0.2.14 12. Alum for tonsillitis:
- 0.2.15 13. Alum for nose bleeding:
- 0.2.16 14. Alum for female genital tightening:
- 0.2.17 15. Alum for dark circles:
- 0.2.18 Other names of Alum:
- 1 Related Posts:
What is Alum?
Alum is the chemical compound made with a combination of various elements like potassium or ammonium with other metals like aluminum or chromium. All types of Alum have 2 Sulfate groups.
The most common type of Alum available in the market is Potassium alum. The scientific name of potassium alum is hydrated potassium aluminum sulfate. 
Health benefits of Alum powder and blocks:
1. Alum block for shaving:
The use of Alum block for shaving has been practiced by many barbers in the hair saloons. It has been used as a simple trick to control bleeding from minor cuts after shaving by men from ages. Using Alum block for treating shaving cuts is a very simple and effective home remedy.
You will need just 1 ingredient for this and that is Alum block. Just wash your face after shaving. Then apply Alum block over the cuts or wounds and rub for 5 minutes. Then wait for 10 minutes and wash your face with lukewarm water.
Alum acts as an astringent. It helps in the constriction or sealing the blood vessels supplying the skin. This controls the bleeding from shaving cuts very fast. Alum is an antihemorrhagic agent which controls bleeding fast.
It is, for this reason, Alum is used as part of Styptic pencils which are using as an effective after-shave treatment to control bleeding. 
2. Alum for canker sores:
Alum powder is an effective home remedy for the treatment of canker sores or mouth ulcers. You can use it 2 ways to get rid of canker sores.
½ spoon of Alum powder
- Just take a ½ spoon of Alum powder.
- If you don’t have Alum powder, you can powder Alum block to make alum powder.
- Then apply this Alum powder over the canker sore or mouth ulcer.
- Wait for 10 minutes and then rinse off your mouth.
When to follow this remedy:
- You can use Alum for canker sores about 2 to 3 times daily.
- You can follow this remedy for 3 to 4 days to see good improvement in the canker sores.
- Alum makes the canker sores burn a lot.
- Adults can tolerate thus burning sensation as it yields good results and cures the canker sores.
- But, small kids might find this remedy intolerable. So, avoid using alum powder directly over the canker sores in kids.
This 2nd method of using Alum over the canker sores involves creating an oral rinse or mouth rinse using Alum powder. This causes less burning sensation than using Alum powder directly. So, kids can use this remedy without any discomfort.
- 2 spoons of Alum powder
- 1 Glass of water
- Boil a glass of water.
- Then add Alum powder to it and mix well.
- Then switch off the flame.
- Wait until the Alum water becomes lukewarm.
- Then strain the Alum from the water.
- Use this Alum water as a mouth rinse.
When to use this Alum mouth rinse:
- Use this mouth rinse 2 to 3 times a day.
- Use this for 3 to 4 days for quick relief from canker sores.
3. Alum for Acne/pimples:
Alum is a very effective remedy to cure pimples or acne naturally. You will need just 3 simple ingredients to make a face pack with alum for acne or pimples.
- 1 spoon Alum powder
- 2 spoons Multani mitti or Fuller’s earth
- 2 spoons Rose water
- Mix the Alum powder, multani mitti or Fuller’s earth with rose water.
- Make it into a fine paste.
- Apple this Alum paste over the acne or pimples.
- Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Then wash your face with lukewarm water.
When to use this:
- You can use this Alum face mask once every week.
- You can follow this remedy using Alum for at least 2 months to see a noticeable improvement in your acne.
Why this works:
- Alum is a very good healing agent.
- It helps in controlling the acne or pimples.
- It also helps in curing acne or pimple scars naturally.
- In addition to this, it tightens the skin and makes you look youthful.
4. Alum for hair removal:
Alum powder provides a soothing relief if you use it over your skin after hair removal.
- 1 spoon of Alum powder
- 2 spoons of Rosewater
- Mix 1 spoon of Alum powder with 2 spoons of rose water and make it into a smooth paste.
- Then after you remove your hair with hot wax or cold wax, apply this mixture over the hair removal areas.
- Wait for 10 minutes. Then wash off the alum powder with lukewarm water.
Why this works:
- We feel a burning or pain sensation over the skin after hair removal.
- Alum powder soothes the burning skin and provides good relief to it.
- In addition to providing relief from pain due to waxing, Alum powder also diminishes the hair growth when used for a long period of time.
5. Alum powder for wrinkles:
Alum powder tightens the skin and reduces the wrinkles very effectively. Wrinkles make a person look older than his/her age. Alum powder helps in getting rid of all these signs of aging and make you look younger.
- 1 spoon of Alum powder
- 1 spoon of honey
- Mix Alum powder with honey to make a nice paste.
- Apply this alum powder honey mixture over your face like a face mask or face pack.
- Wait for 15 minutes.
- Then rinse off your face.
Why this works:
- Alum powder has a property to tighten the skin.
- Wrinkles are caused due to loosening or loss of elasticity of the skin.
- Tightening the skin using Alum helps in reducing the wrinkles naturally.
- Honey is also an age old remedy used in the treatment of wrinkles.
If you don’t have Alum powder available, you can simply rub Alum block over your wet face. Then wait for 10 minutes and wash your face. This is also an effective remedy to get rid of wrinkles naturally.
6. Alum block or powder as a deodorant:
Alum block or Alum powder has a very good effect in getting rid of body odor. It is a very effective natural deodorant. You can simply wet your underarms and also the Alum block and rub the Alum block over the underarms. Then wait for few minutes and the wash your underarms.
You can also make a paste of Alum powder and rose water and apply this mixture to the underarms. Then wait for some time and wash it off. Alum powder kills all the harmful bacteria that produce a bad odor.
Alum is a very good antiperspirant in comparison to store bought deodorants. But make sure not to use it every day. Use it on alternate days or once every 2 days to avoid any harmful effects of Alum on your skin.
7. Alum for water purification:
Alum is very popularly used for water purification. Just add about 1 gm of Alum powder to a liter of dirty water. It means you will have to add 5 gm of Alum powder for 5 liters of dirty or muddy water.
Wait for 10 to 15 minutes. Then you can see that mud settles down at the bottom and you are left with clear water on the top of the bucket or your vessel. But don’t overuse Alum than the recommended dose as it can cause side effects like vomiting, abdominal pain or cramps.
8. Alum powder for athletes foot:
Alum has antimicrobial properties. It can kill the fungus causing Athletes’ foot. So, you can use alum powder to get rid of Athletes’ foot quickly. Just take 2 spoons of alum powder and 4 spoons of rose water and mix well to form a smooth paste.
Wash your feet properly and pat them dry. Then apply this paste over the feet and wait for 10 minutes.Then wash off your feet with lukewarm water. Or else you can simply rub a wet Alum block over the Athletes’ foot and wait for some time.
There is another way you can use Alum powder to get rid of Athletes’ foot. Take a bucket of lukewarm water. Add 4 spoons of Alum powder to it and mix well. Then soak your feet in the Alum water for 15 minutes. Then wash your feet and pat them dry. Follow this remedy on alternate days for quick improvement.
9. Alum for cracked heels:
Alum helps in removing dead cells over the heels and acts as a good exfoliator. It also helps in making the heels very soft and smooth. Alum can heal the cracks on heels very efficiently.
- 2 spoons of Alum powder
- 1 spoon of Coconut oil or olive oil
- 1spoon of honey
- Wash your feet properly.
- Then pat them dry.
- Apply this mixture of alum powder, coconut oil, and honey over the cracked heels or feet.
- Massage for 5 minutes.
- Then leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Then wash it off with lukewarm water.
When to use this remedy:
- Follow this remedy at least 2 to 3 times a week to get rid of cracked heels naturally.
- If you do this for some months, cracks on your feet will disappear completely.
- Your heels will become soft and smooth.
10. Alum powder for head lice:
- 4 grams of Alum powder
- ½ liter of water
- Mix 4 grams of Alum powder in a ½ liter of water and mix well.
- Then apply this mixture on your scalp and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Then rinse off your hair and scalp with herbal shampoo.
- If you use Alum water over your scalp and hair regularly, you will surely notice a reduction in the head lice.
Also read: How to get rid of dandruff naturally-20 ways
11. Alum for stye or eye abscess:
Just make a paste of 1 spoon of alum powder, 1 spoon of sandalwood powder and 2 spoons of rose water. Then apply this paste over the stye or eye abscess. Wait for some time and then rinse off with lukewarm water. Repeat this at least once a day for 3 to 4 days to see a reduction in the size of the stye.
12. Alum for tonsillitis:
Take a ½ spoon of alum powder and roast it slightly on slow flame. Mix it with 1 glass of lukewarm milk and drink daily. This will help in relieving sore throat and other symptoms of tonsillitis due to its antibacterial properties.
13. Alum for nose bleeding:
Take a pinch of Alum powder and mix it in a ¾ spoon of ghee. Then pour 1 to 2 drops of this mixture into the bleeding nostril. Alum constricts the blood vessels and stops nose bleeding very fast.
14. Alum for female genital tightening:
Alum can be used to tighten the female genitalia as well. But this effects remains temporary or just for few hours. Just take 1 to 2 spoons of alum powder and dissolve it in water. Strain this mixture. This takes a cotton swab and applies this alum powder water over the inner walls of the female genital opening.
Wait for 5 minutes and then rinse off your genitalia with normal water. But, take care not to use Alum powder directly over the genitalia as it can lead to adverse effects.
15. Alum for dark circles:
Just mix 1 spoon of alum powder with 2 spoons of rose water or just normal water to make a smooth paste. Apply this mixture over the dark circles.
Wait for few minutes and then just wash off your face. Make sure alum doesn’t come into contact with your eyes. Be very careful while using this remedy as Alum powder can make your eyes burn a lot.
Other names of Alum:
Hindi: Phitkari, Fitkari
Tamil: Patikaram, Padikaram
Malayalam: Fatakadi, Phatakadi
Chinese: Bai fan, Ming Fan shi
You have seen all the uses and benefits of alum for skin, hair, and health. Have you ever used alum as a part of any home remedy? Do share your experience with us.
You can also read this post: Get Sweaty – Amazing Health Benefits Of Sauna Use